Citrusy Mango Ginger Salsa
Makes 2 cups
As I write this, I am practically in tears from the oppressive heat that has wrapped itself around our area of the world like an unwelcome, itchy wool blanket in the middle of July. I get this whole four seasons thing. I approve of the whole four seasons thing. But something has gone wrong. Al Gore, hast thou forsaken us? Mother Nature, whatever the hell we did to piss you off so much, I’m sorry. Can I make you some fruit salsa to make it up to you?
The only thing that is happening in my kitchen today is something that involves no heat at all, other than the heat from raw ginger and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Mango salsas sometimes appear as fresh counterpoints to Caribbean dishes, but this Citrusy Mango Ginger Salsa is such a juicy and sweet and flavorful condiment it can dress up the simplest piece of grilled or pan-seared (but not today) pork or fish or chicken. You can play around with any combination of citrus juices or zest, and dial up the amount of ginger and red pepper flakes as you like to bump up the heat.
Now I have to go and resume my self-indulgent imaginary weeping.Print
- 2 cups chopped mango
- 1 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoons fresh lemon or lime juice
- ½ grated fresh orange zest
- 3 tablespoons finely minced red onion
- 1 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ teaspoons red pepper flakes, or to taste
1. In a medium bowl add the mango, orange juice, lemon or lime juice, orange zest, red onion, ginger, olive oil, basil, salt and pepper, and red pepper flakes and stir gently until well combined