The MOM 100 Blog
Times someone blessed my heart:
Great moment while teaching cooking class at Central Market in Plano:
- 12 year old boy, after tasting Miso Cod Fingers, said that this fish had “changed his life.”
Dining experiences I shan’t soon forget:
- Insane-tasting dinner that Stephan Pyles‘ restaurant prepared at his eponymous restaurant. Let’s just say any meal that starts with 8 kinds of ceviche is going to knock your socks off.
- Great salads and sandwiches at Uncle Uber’s Sammich Shop, which is in a funky neighborhood called Deep Ellum, which is being revitalized.
- Pit-stop for fries at Whataburger drive-thru (and dutifully brought home packets of the Whataburger ketchup to top my meatloaf with, as instructed by fancy Texas ladies).
- A bucket of peanuts in the shell accompanied by some cold white wine at the Rodeo Bar at the Adolphus Hotel.
What I brought home:
- Sweet potatoes, fresh black eyed peas, (more) peanuts in the shell, and honey from the Dallas Farmer’s Market.
- Tartar sauce right off the line at Canyon Foods, a sparkling packaged foods manufacturer.
- From Fiesta Market, lots of tortillas, warm from oven; duce de leche for my sister-in-law; coco duro (hard coconut candy) for my mother; and chicharrones
And a little bit of culture:
- Ernesto Neto exhibit at the Nasher Gallery, where you get to walk through the exhibit (literally)
So happy to have been able to spend lots of time with:
- The inimitable Dedie Leahy — friend, Dallas connector, advisor, tonic.